Even though magpies are beloved Australian birds, they can become a nightmare for the public during Spring.
The best advice is to avoid areas where swooping magpies are on watch, but if you can’t do so, Vic Gov has released some tips to help you stay safe during this time.
If you are looking for advice and news from other Melburnians, we’ve also created the Melbourne Magpie Swoop Group. You can join it here!
- Move quickly, but don’t run.
- Cover your head with hats, sticks or umbrellas. If you are cycling, you should dismount and walk through the area.
- Wear eyes at the back of your head/helmet so magpies think you are watching them.
- Don’t harass the birds like throwing things etc. This will only anger the birds further.
- Don’t destroy nests. They’ll only rebuild it again.
- Don’t feed the birds.
- Travel in groups if you can do so.
- Do your bit and notify others. A great way to do this is to join the Melbourne Magpie Swoop Group here.
Fev didn’t know who these major celebrities were & it was so embarrassing…