According to new reports, a man from Wisconsin has had all of his limbs amputated after contracting a rare blood infection from the saliva of his pet dog.
The man, Greg Manteufel, believed he had the flu and then, when he went to the hospital, found out that his body was being ruined by Capnocytophaga canimorsus, which is a type of bacteria found in the salvia of cats and dogs.
In the rarest of cases, it can enter the bloodstream through licks, bites and other forms of contact.
Unfortunately for Greg, this was the case.
His wife, Dawn, told Fox 6 Now, “It hit him with a vengeance. Just bruising all over him.
“Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat.”
Doctors told Greg they would have to cut his legs off, within the first week, as the disease had resulted in him having extremely low blood pressure and his circulation dramatically dropped.
Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, who is an infectious disease specialist at the Medical College of Wisconsin, revealed, “Sometimes it decreases so much that the arms and legs just die.”
Despite their best efforts, doctors later had to amputate parts of Greg’s hands, and then half of both of his forearms.
Dawn shared, “We can’t wrap our heads around it … He’s been around dogs all of his life … and this happens.
“All he kept saying to the doctors — ‘take what you need but keep me alive, And they did it.”
The family have now set up a GoFundMe page to help cover the cost of Greg’s surgeries and new prosthetic hands and legs.
Munoz-Price explained that “More than 99 per cent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue. It’s just chance.”
Those more at risk of contracting this bacteria are people with weakened immune systems.